Job Title: Staff Accountant
Job Status: Full Time, Exempt
Job Site: Lane County office
Pay Range: Salary commensurate with experience $39,500 – $53,000/annually
Purpose of Position: NEDCO (Neighborhood Economic Development Corporation) is a non-profit organization with a mission to collaboratively build human and capital assets to strengthen neighborhoods and broaden participation in community ownership and governance. The Staff Accountant is a key position within the organization, responsible for day-to-day accounting; working directly with the Controller and closely with the Chief Financial Officer, Operations Management and other NEDCO staff.
Accounting – Manage day-to-day accounting activities for the organization, including its programs, properties, and housing development projects, in accordance with organizational financial policies and industry standards. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- Accounts payable – Review and post disbursements to the general ledger.
- Accounts receivable – Prepare and process invoices for grants and contracts; track progress; post transactions to the general ledger.
- Banking – Record deposit receipts; complete monthly statement reconciliations in cooperation with the Controller and Board Treasurer or the Treasurer’s designee.
- Financial reports – Monthly journal entries and allocation of expenses to programs; coordinate with other staff to ensure compliance with the terms of grants, contracts, loans, and investor requirements; with support from the Controller, assists in preparing monthly and annual financial statements, grant and contract financial reports.
- Annual Audit – Assists in preparing support documents and work with Controller, Chief Financial Officer and independent CPA firm to expedite the preparation of the annual audit.
- Other specific projects as assigned or developed
Required Knowledge, skills and experience include:
- Degree in Accounting (or working toward degree) with up to one year accounting experience
- Experience in nonprofit accounting preferred but not required
- Increasingly responsible work experience.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, writing, negotiation, analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain a cooperative and team-oriented working relationship with a wide range of people, such as other employees, and professionals from financial institutions, public and private funders, and regulatory agencies.
- Proficient in Excel, Word and Outlook
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and skills is qualifying. A typical way to demonstrate the required knowledge and skills would be:
- Working toward or achievement of a bachelor’s degree in accounting and up to one years’ experience
- Five years’ experience in full charge bookkeeping and/or accounting for a private or public nonprofit organization.
Other requirements include:
- Ability to use a computer, keyboard, and associated software for accounting, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email and calendar/scheduling programs.
- Completing a criminal background check and credit report prior to being hired, the results of which are satisfactory to the employer.
- Ability to work occasional evening hours (twice a month or less); travel to other locations in Oregon (once a month or less); and out of state travel for training and/or conferences for periods up to a week (once a year or less).
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; a deferred compensation retirement plan that includes an employer match (eligibility for the plan begins after one year of employment); and paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. NEDCO is committed to the professional growth of all employees and provides excellent annual training opportunities.
To Apply: An application consists of a resume, cover letter, a list of three references, and responses to the questions below. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please send this completed package to email@example.com with the subject line “Staff Accountant”. Positions will be open until filled, but resumes received by Thursday, March 15, 2018 will be given priority.
In addition to the application package above, please respond to the following questions on a separate piece of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each item. Make sure experience and training described in your responses are included in your application.
- This position is responsible for a wide range of processes. Describe your experience interpreting financial procedures and processing documents such as purchase orders/check requests, invoices, bank reconciliations and journal vouchers. Indicate if this experience included use of a computerized financial information system.
- Describe your experience using a personal computer to create and maintain databases and spreadsheets that track expenditures and prepare fiscal reports. Indicate the hardware and software with which you are familiar.
- This positions explains accounting rules and procedures to administrators, staff, vendors and clients. Describe experience you have using communication and interpersonal skills that would prepare you to assume these responsibilities.
- This position has a high volume workload. Describe skills you have in prioritizing tasks and how you handle a demanding work environment.