Job Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Job Site: Clackamas County Homeownership Centers
Job Salary: Salary commensurate with experience ($34,000-$41,000); plus Benefits
Supervisor: Asset Building Manager
Purpose of Position:
NEDCO’s OpportunityWorks department provides a full spectrum of services to help low- to moderate-income individuals and families gain financial stability, build assets, and achieve a stronger financial future.
The Asset Building Specialist & Financial Educator position is responsible for providing individual consultations to participants in a wide range of financial literacy programs. As an Asset Building Specialist, you will work with clients who are often living in poverty, are un- or under- banked, and routinely access social/emergency services. As their financial counselor, you will help them identify their financial goals, better understand their current financial situation, and develop an action plan to reach their goals. This position provides coaching and encouragement for clients, and provide the knowledge and tools to help them move forward. The Asset Building Specialist’s work aims to help each client achieve the financial stability necessary to advance to a traditional asset building goal.
In addition to individual consultations, this position is responsible for providing top-quality group education in a wide range of financial literacy and first-time homebuyer programs. Most NEDCO classes are targeted for low- to moderate-income adults, but we also teach classes for at risk youth and other economically vulnerable populations (e.g. domestic violence survivors). Classes are typically fewer than 25 participants and are taught in a variety of formats depending on the target audience and the content. Classes are frequently taught or co-taught by volunteer guest instructors from relevant industries (lenders, realtors, financial planners).
- Provide one-on-one financial consultations, including budget counseling, analysis of credit and credit repair plan, explanation of debt ratios and debt repayment, creation of an action plan, referrals to other programs and services
- Provide top-quality, dynamic adult education for general audiences and unique client populations; utilize tactics that appeal to different learning styles, ages, experience and confidence levels
- Coordinate and conduct classes in first time home buying, financial literacy, and other NEDCO sponsored group education efforts
- Cultivate, train and manage volunteer guest instructors
- Compile and maintain complete and accurate client and class files (both paper and electronic)
- Support Lead Community Financial Educator in curriculum development, evaluation, and revision to ensure best quality curriculum
- Maintain a high level (and constantly improving) level of expertise about financial literacy, service delivery best practices, research findings, culture of poverty issues and other areas of knowledge necessary to ensure the highest level of education and counseling excellence; share expertise with other NEDCO staff
- Identify issues and trends effecting pre-asset clients, and communicate your observations (as well as potential program updates/changes) to the Asset Building Manager for strategic planning purposes
- Work effectively with and respond to people from diverse cultures or backgrounds
- Assist OpportunityWorks team in creating culturally supportive learning environments
- Provide language-appropriate instruction, counseling, and translation as needed (Bilingual Counselors only)
- Coordinate and conduct outreach to target client populations, community organizations, industry partners and public events to increase awareness of, interest in, and registration for NEDCO classes and services
- Ensure that work plan goals and contract obligations for class attendance and counseling numbers are met or exceeded; monitor monthly progress toward goals and work with the Asset Building Manager to make necessary changes to outreach efforts
- Promote and maintain effective relationships with community partners and NEDCO staff
- Coordinate internal and external referrals and maintain quality intra- and inter-agency relationships on behalf of NEDCO and NEDCO clients
- Maintain positive relationships with counterpart counselors and educators at other non-profit agencies, to share expertise, best practices and industry knowledge.
- Other specific projects as assigned or developed
Training: Skills and professional development training as opportunities and funding are available (including Asset Building, First Time Homeownership, Financing Secondary Education, and Adult Education Methods)
Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Bachelor’s Degree required; relevant experience may be substituted for a degree
- Previous experience in teaching and group presentations
- Previous experience working with individuals in one-on-one counseling settings preferred
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Willingness and ability to adapt quickly as program needs evolve
- Ability to maintain equal levels of professionalism, compassion, encouragement, and boundaries while helping vulnerable clients
- Must be proficient in basic math functions, including ratios, fractions and percentages
- Experience in lending, credit, financial planning or homeownership issues helpful
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to travel in Clackamas, Marion, and Lane Counties using own transportation
- Availability to travel statewide and nationally for conferences and trainings, including occasional overnights and weekends
- Ability to work independently within a flexible work structure and to contribute as a valuable member of an integrated team
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends and evenings as program delivery dictates
- Applicants for Bilingual positions must be fluent in English and Spanish as demonstrated by excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills – NEDCO will not consider applicants for bilingual positions who cannot demonstrate this proficiency
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position and relevant experience to Amy Hamilton (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line, “Asset Building Specialist Recruitment”.
Position will be open until filled, but resumes received prior to August 1st, will be given top priority. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred, but not required.